How to Register
Register Online – Click here for online voter registration
- Requires S.C. Driver’s License or DMV ID
- If you have moved, you must first update your residence address with DMV
Who Can Register?
In order to vote, South Carolina law requires one must first register to vote at least 30 days prior to the election. To be eligible to register in South Carolina you MUST:
- be a United States citizen
- be at least eighteen years old on or before the next election
- be a resident of South Carolina, this county and precinct
- not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent
- not be confined in any public prison resulting from a conviction of a crime
- have never been convicted of a felony or offense against the election laws OR if previously convicted, have served the entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction.
What address do I use?
You must register at the address where you reside. For guidance in determining what residence to claim for voter registration purposes, see S.C. Code of Laws Section 7-1-25.
When can I register?
There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote. You can register at any time.
You must be registered at least 30 days prior to any election in order to vote in that election. Registration by mail applications must be postmarked at least 30 days prior to that particular election to be eligible.